Click the button below to add our first meeting to your Google Calendar.
Below are the minutes from a sample meeting from a previous semester so anyone interested can get a feel for how meetings are run and what the organization is like. Click on the links in the minutes to see the fulfillment of our plans or for more information about a topic.
We started by viewing:
Daily Show with Jon Stewart clip – Ken Mehlmen
Introductions and ice breaker question – Which human rights activist do you find most inspiring?
Coming Out Week – What should StandOut do for our event for Coming Out Week?
Remaining time was a discussion on Competitive Insurance Benefits:
- Overview of the issue
- Faculty Benefits article
- Cooperation vs Separation
• Scott Parks, UT Student Body President spoke at meeting:
- Board of Regents has ability to change CIB policy
- All appointees of Gov. Rick Perry
• Done in other states
- Using the language “Other qualified individual” allows it to go around DOMA laws
all in support, but are separate
• There is a void in unified voice for UT at the capitol
- The bill will be most effective with broad coalition of support
- Elliot Naishtat is expected to introduce the bill
- More powerful if someone unexpected brought up issue in session
- StandOut will serve as a student voice for CIB
- Possibilities of what we can accomplish for CIB as a student org:
- Testifying in front of Congressional committees
• Easy to do